This program prepares individuals, under the supervision of office managers and other professionals, to perform routine administrative duties in a medical, clinical, or health care facility/system office environment. Includes instruction in general office skills, data processing, office equipment operation, principles of medical record-keeping and business regulations, medical/clinical office procedures, and communication skills.
Students must demonstrate college-level proficiency in composition, reading, and mathematics as prerequisites for courses within this program. Skills in these areas may affect the sequence of courses in which students can enroll and may also extend the time required to complete this program. For more details, please see the Academic Placement and Testing section.
In order to participate in the program, students must:
- Provide proof of physical health exam with the Health History form, showing documentation of immunizations including Hepatitis B, Varicella (chicken pox) or proof of having had the disease, MMR, Influenza, and Tetanus.
- A two-step TB test is required at least once per year prior to Internship or TB Gold test.
- Have a current CPR HealthCare Provider certification prior to practicum
- Provide proof of successful completion of a criminal background check prior to clinicals (form/instructions are included in clinic manual) and drug screen
- Provide a signed Technical Abilities form (instructor will provide)
- Provide a CMC Worker’s Compensation form (instructor will provide)
- Provide a signed CMC Liability Waiver (instructor will provide)
- Successfully complete a 200 hour Internship
Graduates of the program will receive an Associate of Applied Science Degree in Medical Assistant.
The Associate of Applied Science Degree in Medical Assistant is offered at Colorado Mountain College in Edwards and Colorado Mountain College online. All labs are held at the campus in Edwards. Please note: some courses are only offered online. Please see your advisor for a recommended sequence of courses.
CMC also offers a certificate in Medical Assistant .
Learn more about the Medical Assistant Program
General Education Requirements
- ✽ CIS 118 - Introduction to PC Applications 3.0 Credits
- COM 126 - Communication in Healthcare 3.0 Credits
- ◆ ENG 121 - English Composition I (GT-CO1) 3.0 Credits
- MAT 107 - Career Math 3.0 Credits
- ◆ PSY 101 - General Psychology I (GT-SS3) 3.0 Credits
- General Education Electives 9.0 credits minimum
Select three courses, with no more than two courses from any one category:
Arts & Humanities (ART, FRE, GER, HUM, LIT, PHI, SPA, MUS, THE)
Science (AST, BIO, CHE, GEY, PHY)
Social Sciences (ANT, ECO, GEO, HIS, POS, PSY, SOC)
Medical Assistant Program Requirements
(35 credits minimum)
Minimum Hours Required
Minimum Credit Hours Required (60)
Minimum Contact Hours Required (1140-1185)
Add a Bachelors to this degree!
Boost the professional value of your technical degree and expertise with our Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) degree.
Our BAS degree is designed to enhance the value of your Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree by developing the professional leadership skills needed to work at a management level in technical professions of all kinds.
◆ State Guaranteed Transfer Course
✽ Applies to CMC AA/AS/AGS Degrees
Not all programs/courses are available at every campus and may require travel to another campus or access via distance learning (IVS, hybrid, or online).
For more information see Degree & Certificate Descriptions & Requirements .