Jul 24, 2024  
2017-2018 Catalog 
2017-2018 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Getting In


This chapter contains practical information to make sure you get off to a solid start at CMC. How to determine your residency status and the associated tuition costs, how to apply for admission, register for classes, and receive grades are all described in this section.

Lessons learned in the mountains can help you achieve your dreams. Don’t let a technicality get in your way. Don’t hamper your education by misunderstanding a policy. Read the policies first.

Regular Admissions Requirements

You may be granted regular admission to Colorado Mountain College if you are a high school graduate, or have earned a General Educational Development Certificate (GED). If you are not a high school graduate, you may also be admitted if you are 17 years of age or older.

All admissions are also based upon the following conditions:

  • Certain programs may have limited enrollments due to staffing and facility constraints. Students are admitted based upon program admission criteria and as staffing and facilities permit.

  • ACT or SAT scores are recommended and are used for advisement and placement. If you are seeking a degree and have not completed ACT or SAT exams prior to enrollment, you will be required to take a placement test.  Please contact the front desk staff at the campus you plan on attending for further information.

Immunization Requirement

Colorado Mountain College must comply with the state immunization law. This law requires certain full-time students to provide documentation concerning their immunization against measles, mumps, and rubella. The Registrar’s Office will notify you if this documentation is required. Questions may be addressed to the Student Services Office at your site/campus.

Selective Service Registration

Colorado law requires all males between the ages of 18-25 to certify their registration with the Selective Service. If a student is required to be registered and has not, state law prohibits the College from allowing him to enroll.

Academic Placement Testing and Placement Test Requirements

Colorado Mountain College requires placement tests to determine which classes best suit your academic abilities. If you are transferring credit to CMC or have previous placement scores, check with the Central Admissions Office or your campus admissions staff to determine if you are exempt from placement testing. CMC uses the Accuplacer by College Board to determine placement.

Students are encouraged to prepare before taking placement tests by utilizing a study guide, practice tests or the free study app available at College Board.org. CMC plans to transition to from the Classic Accuplacer to the Next Generation Accuplacer in the 2017-2018 academic year. Be sure to inquire about which version you will be taking and utilize the appropriate study guide. Students needing accommodations for testing must first contact the Disabilities Services Coordinator at their site to request accommodations for the Accuplacer Placement test.

If you do not meet the minimum competency standards established by the College, you may be required to complete prerequisite courses, which will help develop the skills you need to succeed in college level courses.

For complete information including how to register for the Accuplacer, test prep resources, required scores, and exemptions from placement testing, go to Placement Testing.  

Application Process

Applying for admission to Colorado Mountain College is easy and there is no application fee. Students who wish to take credit classes may be required to demonstrate proficiency in college level reading, English, and mathematics prior to enrolling in college level courses. Below is an overview of the Admission process. For additional detailed information please visit coloradomtn.edu/admissions/.

New Student: “I have never attended college before”

  1. To apply, complete and submit the Admission Application.

  2. Students who have taken Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate tests may be awarded credit that will count toward graduation. Submit your test scores for evaluation.

  3. Submit your ACT or SAT scores if taken within the last five years. These tests are not required for admission; however, certain scores may exempt you from placement testing and may be required for some academic programs.

  4. Take Accuplacer Placement Test (if necessary) available at any CMC campus.

  5. Colorado law requires all college freshmen born since January 1, 1957, to have had two immunizations each against measles, mumps, and rubella. You must provide proof of these immunizations before you will be allowed to register for classes. This law affects all residential campuses and associated commuter sites.

  6. Schedule an advising appointment with a CMC College Counselor at the campus you plan on attending.

  7. Arrange financing to pay for your college expenses. Financial Aid Specialists are available at most CMC campuses.

Transfer Student: “I am transferring from a college or university to CMC”

  1. To apply, complete and submit the Admission Application.

  2. Have your previous college(s)/university(ies) send official academic transcripts to CMC’s Registrar’s Office. Only academic courses completed with a “C” grade or better may be accepted for transfer.

  3. Take Accuplacer Placement Test (if necessary) available at any CMC campus.

  4. Schedule an advising appointment with a CMC College Counselor at the campus you plan to attend. Also visit Student Planning, an online self advising tool to explore academic programs, choose classes and register.

  5. Colorado law requires all college freshmen born since January 1, 1957, to have had two immunizations each against measles, mumps, and rubella. You must provide proof of these immunizations before you will be allowed to register for classes. This law affects all residential campuses and associated commuter sites.

  6. Arrange financing to pay for your college expenses. Financial Aid Specialists are available at most CMC campuses.

Returning CMC Student: “I have not taken classes at CMC in over one year”

  1. To apply, complete and submit the Admission Application

  2. Schedule an advising appointment with a CMC College Counselor at the campus you plan on attending.

  3. Arrange financing to pay for your college expenses.

International Student Admission (F1 Student Visa)

Colorado Mountain College (CMC) is a member of the Colorado State Consortium to promote international education “Study Colorado.” CMC is authorized by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to admit non-immigrant students to the CMC campuses in Spring Valley at Glenwood Springs, Leadville, Steamboat Springs and Vail Valley. International students must submit an International Student Admission Application and all supporting documentation prior to the application deadline.

  1. Complete and submit International Student Admission Application and supporting documents. Deadlines are May 1 for fall semester and October 1 for spring semester.

  2. Submit official college/university transcripts (if applicable). International transcripts must be certified and translated into English. Please request the “Catalog Match” translation. Go to www.edperspective.org for information. Student is responsible for all fees associated with translation services.  

  3. If your native language is other than English you must provide evidence of your English language proficiency through one of the following methods: Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) - 61 or higher on the iBT, or 500 or higher on the written test; Michigan Test of English Language Proficiency - 80 or higher; the International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) test - minimum score of 6.5, with no band below a 6,  or advanced level completion documents from one of several language schools in the USA. Since Colorado Mountain College does not offer an intensive course/program in English as a Second Language for F1 students, all students must have proof of English proficiency prior to acceptance to be issued an I-20.

  4. Financial certification verifying the financial resources to pay for one full year of living and studying in the United States. International students must also provide proof of adequate private insurance of their own.

  5. I-20 Form: The CMC designated school official will send you this form after we receive items 1 through 4 above, if you meet admission requirements. The I-20 Form is required to obtain a visa or to transfer from another school.

  6. Tuition and fees for international students: Out-of-state tuition and fee charges apply. Federal financial aid is not available for international students, but they may apply for a limited number of CMC scholarships.

  7. Housing for international students: We strongly recommend that international students live in on-campus housing. Housing information will be mailed with letters of acceptance or upon request.

Helpful online information for international students is available at Study in the USA: www.studyusa.com, www.educationUSA.infowww.studycolorado.org, or www.studyinthestates.dhs.gov.

Selective Admissions Programs

You might be admitted to the college, but not accepted to a particular program due to enrollment limits or academic requirements. In this event, a College Counselor will help you plan a schedule for overcoming scholastic deficiencies or will suggest alternative courses or programs.

In programs where enrollment is limited due to academic requirements, meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee admission to the program. Admission to these programs is based upon academic and personal qualifications considered necessary for successful practice in the occupation. For further details about programs with limited enrollments and specialized admission requirements, please contact the Central Admissions Office at joinus@coloradomtn.edu.

Residency Classification

Domicile is defined by Colorado law. To be domiciled in Colorado for tuition classification purposes, the student (or his/her parent/legal guardian as prescribed by the law) must have physical presence in the state and an intent to maintain that as a true, fixed permanent place of residence. You may be required to furnish the following documents to assist in the verification of residency: Colorado state income tax returns, current driver’s license, motor vehicle registration and voter’s registration; proof of physical presence such as rent receipts, canceled checks, or other acceptable evidence; and a petition for residency classification.

If you feel you have been incorrectly classified, you may request a tuition reclassification petition and a copy of the summary of the state statutes governing tuition classification from the Tuition Classification Officer at any Colorado Mountain College campus. This petition will be processed only if you have an application for admission on file or are currently enrolled. The petition must be submitted no later than 10 working days after the start of the semester or initial registration for the mid-semester starting classes.

Colorado Resident

To be classified as a Colorado resident for tuition purposes, you must be domiciled in the state for a minimum of 12 months prior to the first day of the semester. If you attend Colorado Mountain College as an out-of-state student and establish domicile during your attendance, you may submit a Tuition Reclassification Petition for a subsequent semester.

If you are under the age of 23 your parent or legal guardian must be domiciled for a minimum of 12 months; or, you must prove emancipation from your parents if they are not domiciled residents of the state.

In-District Resident

To gain in-district status for tuition purposes, you must be a Colorado state resident and be domiciled in the six-county Colorado Mountain College district (Garfield, Eagle, Summit, Pitkin, Lake, and Routt School District RE2) for a minimum period of 32 days prior to the first day of the semester. If you are under the age of 23, you must prove emancipation from your parents if they reside out of the district. If you attend CMC as an out-of-state student and gain in-state status while residing in the district, you may earn in-district status at the time of your in-state classification.

Additionally, a student who has been classified as an in-state Colorado resident for tuition purposes and who owns a residence (i.e., a second home) in the six-county CMC District, or is a dependent of a person who owns a residence in the six county district, shall be classified as an in-district student for tuition purposes.

Service Area Rate

To gain service area status for tuition purposes, you must be a Colorado state resident and be domiciled in the three-county (Chaffee, Grand and Jackson) Colorado Mountain College service area for a minimum period of 32 days prior to the first day of the semester. If you are under the age of 23, you must prove emancipation from your parents or legal guardian if they reside out of the service or in-district area. If you attend CMC as an out-of-state student and gain in-state status while residing in the service area, you may earn service area status at the time of your in-state classification.

Out-of-State Resident

An out-of-state resident is a person domiciled in Colorado for less than twelve months. 

Any student who willfully gives wrong or misleading information to avoid paying non-resident tuition is subject to legal and disciplinary action. Disputes of the tuition classification beyond the petition are considered by the CMC Tuition Classification Review Board appointed by the Assistant Vice President of Enrollment Services.

Tuition and Other Costs

A college education is one of the most important investments you will make. Colorado Mountain College is committed to providing access to everyone who can benefit from a program of higher education.

The cost of attending Colorado Mountain College varies depending on residency status, program of study, housing status, and other services needed. The following section covers general tuition and fee costs you may expect by attending Colorado Mountain College during the 2017-2018 academic year.

Textbooks and Course Materials

Textbooks, ebooks, or other learning materials such as purchased access to online instructional websites are required for most courses. CMC works with online learning materials vendors to offer new, used and rental textbooks when available. Students may choose where they purchase their course materials. Information is available at www.coloradomtn.edu/bookstore or contact the campus store or front desk at any CMC location.

Standard Tuition Rates

The charts below list in-district, service area, in-state and out-of-state tuition rates for a single credit at both the associate level (100-200) and bachelor level (300-400).

Associate courses (100-200 level)

Rate per credit
Total for 15 credits per semester
In-district students
Service Area students
In-state students
Out-of-state students

Bachelor courses (300-400 level)

Rate per credit
Total for 15 credits per semester
In-district students
Service Area students
In-state students
Out-of-state students


See the Residency Classification section earlier in this chapter for information about in-district, service area and in-state classification.

Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) Tuition Rate

The Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) tuition program allows students from 14 western states to attend Colorado Mountain College by paying one and one-half the cost of in-state tuition instead of the full out-of-state tuition rate. Students who are residents from the states listed below are considered for the award; however, acceptance into WUE is not guaranteed and WUE awards are limited. To be considered students must submit a completed CMC admission application, all applicable transcripts and/or test scores, a copy of a valid WUE state driver’s license, and the CMC Supplemental WUE Participation form.

WUE Eligible States

New Mexico
North Dakota
South Dakota
Commonwealth of Northern Marianas Islands


WUE is only available at Colorado Mountain College’s Spring Valley at Glenwood Springs and Leadville campuses. Excluded are the Veterinary Technology, Nursing degrees and all programs offered online. New freshman and transfer students enrolling for the first time at CMC are eligible for WUE consideration. Through acceptance of the special WUE tuition classification, students acknowledge their intent to maintain their legal domicile in their home state at the time of application. If students desire to change their legal domicile to any other state, including Colorado, they must notify the Registrar’s office. At that time a student may be changed to out-of-state tuition rates. Please note that time accrued while participating in the WUE tuition program cannot be used to establish domiciliary intent for purposes of claiming Colorado residency.

WUE Participation Criteria:

Submit the online CMC admissions application and supplemental WUE participation form by June 1 for fall semester, October 1 for spring semester and April 1 for summer semester.

  1. Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S.

  2. Maintain enrollment with a minimum of 12 credit hours for each semester you attend (summer semester is a minimum of 6 credit hours).

  3. Maintain good academic standing with 2.0 cumulative GPA or higher.

  4. Remain a permanent resident of your home WUE state (maintaining your home state driver’s license will be required).

  5. Students under 21 years of age are required to live on campus, some exemptions apply.

  6. Continuing students must use the early registration period to register for classes for the next term (summer excluded). Failure to pre-register will result in the loss of WUE eligibility.

For more information please contact the Central Admissions Office at (970) 947-8328.

Veterans and Active-Duty Military

Active-duty military, veterans, their spouses and dependents (dependents under the age of 23) may be eligible for a tuition discount. To be considered for this discount see the criteria below. More information may be found on the Veterans and Active Duty Military page on the Colorado Mountain College website.

To apply for this discount you must provide the following;

  1. A complete CMC application for admissions indicating your military affiliation under the “Veteran Military Service” section of the Application.

  2. Fill out the supplemental Military Discount application.

  3. Provide a copy of a DD-214 showing any discharge status other than dishonorable. A Military ID may be acceptable when a DD-214 is not available.

  4. For students not using Military Tuition Assistance or VA Educational Benefits a complete FAFSA* is required.

*Your FAFSA must be official and complete, including any follow-up requirements that may be requested after your initial FAFSA is processed in order for this discount to be awarded.

This discount is not available for online programs or a semester of all online courses.

This discount was approved by the Colorado Mountain College Board of Trustees to honor U.S. veterans, active-duty military and their families.

For more information contact the Assistant Registrar at registrar@coloradomtn.edu.

District Employer Sponsored Rate

The District Employer Sponsored Rate enables Colorado Mountain College to provide educational services for local tax-paying businesses who are paying for their employees’ credit courses without penalizing them for employees who do not meet state residency requirements. Under this classification, district employers will pay the in-state rate for employees who are out-of-state residents involved in job related training activities in 100 and 200 level courses. Online classes are excluded.

Second Home Owner Tuition Rates

Students who are classified as non-residents but own a residence in the six-county Colorado Mountain College district (Garfield, Eagle, Summit, Pitkin, Lake, and Routt School District RE2) are allowed to register for up to 3 credits per semester at a rate equivalent to in-state rate, or they may enroll in one 4 or 5 credit course at this rate. (Students cannot take a series of courses that add up to either 4 or 5 credits with this rate.) If an out-of-state resident student takes more than the allowed number of credits within one semester, all credits (including the original credits) will be charged at the regular out-of-state rate. The tuition reduction is limited to 100 and 200 level course and cannot be used for online courses exclusively.

Senior Grant Tuition Rates

Colorado Mountain College provides grants for 50 percent of the tuition charge for district residents who are 62 years old or older. This policy applies to credit courses only.

Miscellaneous Charges and Fees

This section summarizes miscellaneous charges and fees that are levied in addition to standard tuition rates.

Bad Check
$25 per occurrence
Library Fines
Commencement Fee
Official Transcripts
$2 to $10


Program Fees

Because of special requirements for laboratories and specialized equipment and materials, several programs carry supplemental fees in addition to other instructional costs. These are called program fees. Some programs also require you to purchase professional equipment. Check with your campus advisor to determine if program fees apply to your course of study of click here.

Technology Fees

To address the constantly changing technology environment and associated costs, the College charges a flat technology fee based on enrollment. The fee is as follows:

Approved Technology Fee for 2017-2018

Per Semester Flat Fee
Credit Hours

Credit Hours

Credit Hours
Credit Fee
Additional Residence Hall Fee

Cost Summary Table

This table offers a side-by-side comparison of most conceivable costs and fees associated with attending a community or residential campus.

Because many of our campuses are located in resort communities with high rent and food costs, the residence hall with food service, at $9280 for eight months is an affordable option for full-time students.

Product or Service Community Campus Residential Campus
Two 15-credit Semesters (in-district tuition) $1950 $1950
Instructional Technology Fee ($50/12+ credits) (two semesters) $100 $100
Food Service (19 meal/wk plan for two semesters) N/A $4322
Residence Hall (double occupancy, two semesters) N/A $4958
Student Activity Fees (two semesters) N/A $180
Residence Hall Technology Fee (two semesters) N/A $200
Books & Supplies (avg. for two semesters) $800 $800
Commencement Fee $20 $20
Grand Total $3050 $12530

Student Activity Fees

All residential campuses provide a variety of student activities planned and supervised by student government and the Student Activities Coordinator. Dive into a pool party, take a special ski trip, catch a comedy act or just enjoy life at Colorado Mountain College. Your student fees pay for these activities. If you attend these campuses, you must pay student activity fees. The amount varies by campus and by the number of hours for which you are enrolled each semester.

Credit Hours Steamboat Springs Leadville Glenwood Springs/ Spring Valley
6-8.5 $65 $65
9-11.5 $90 $55 $90
12+ $90 $90 $90

Note: all students living in the Glenwood Springs at Spring Valley residence halls are required to pay student activity fees.

Course Specific Fees

Course specific fees are assigned to certain courses and help cover the cost of additional materials. Course fees can be found in the semester class schedules.

Payment Plan

Paying for the rising costs of a college education is a concern for most everyone. Colorado Mountain College offers a number of different options for obtaining financial assistance with these costs. Among them are a payment plan, grants, scholarships, loans and work study options.

Colorado Mountain College has partnered with Nelnet Business Solutions to offer our students a plan in which payments can be spread throughout the semester. This is not a loan program, there are no interest or finance charges assessed and there is no credit check. The cost to budget your interest-free monthly payment plan is a $25 per semester non-refundable Nelnet enrollment fee. To be eligible, students must have a minimum of $250 balance of tuition charges on their account and be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits. Payments are made either through pre-approved bank to bank transfers or through your credit card. Payment schedules vary by semester, please contact the location you plan to attend for specifics. Go to payment plan.

ADA Physical and Academic Requirements

Colorado Mountain College occupational certificates and degrees have certain physical and academic standards which you will be required to meet before you are admitted to specific programs. Students accepted into the college’s vocational programs must be physically, mentally, and emotionally self-supportive with reasonable accommodations.

If you are concerned about meeting the physical and academic standards, please contact the Disability Services Coordinator who will determine your ability to participate in the program. See the Accessibility Services section in the Finding Help chapter.


This section describes the policies and processes for adding and dropping classes and policies related to class attendance, course load, and transferring credits into Colorado Mountain College.  Below is an overview of the registration process. For further information please visit Register-for-class.

Standard Registration Periods

CMC’s academic year is three semesters (fall, spring, summer). Standard registration periods pertain to standard and non-standard length credit courses.

Early Registration provides an opportunity for currently enrolled degree- or certificate-seeking students to register early for the upcoming semester. Students must meet campus academic advising requirements and have a zero balance on their account. Payment is deferred to a later date and not due at the time of early registration. An invoice will be emailed to the student. Students are encouraged to register online during this period. In-person and phone-in registrations may be available by contacting your campus.

Registration is open to all students and for all class types (credit, continuing education/non-credit, and CEU). For further information please visit Register-for-class. Payment is due by the Payment Deadline which is approximately 7 (seven) business days before the start of the semester. For registrations after the payment deadline, payment is due at the time of registration. Students seeking financial aid are encouraged to sign up for the payment plan if a balance is due after the awarding of financial aid to avoid getting dropped from classes.

Drop/Add Period is intended for students making changes to their current schedule or registering for a standard length course before the course has started. Some flexibility is needed to allow for students to drop/add courses or register for a course provided they meet the following “Drop/Add Period” criteria:

  • Currently registered students dropping and/or adding a course to make a schedule change will be allowed to register after the first class session during the drop/add period with approval from both the course Faculty and Campus Instructional Leader or designee.

  • Students starting the registration process are allowed to register for a class during drop/add period one day before the first class session. Students must meet campus advising requirements and get approval from the Academic Advisor or designee.

The standard drop/add registration form will be used for this registration transaction.

Late Starting Classes: These classes are intended for students to add classes to their schedule or for a new student to get registered for classes that have not started.

Before You Register

For your success, we suggest that you meet with your Faculty Advisor or a College Counselor as you plan your semester schedule. The class schedule from each campus shows registration times and locations. This schedule, printed each semester for each campus, provides critical information concerning each course: when and where the course meets, the teacher, and the cost. The schedule also provides important dates such as the withdrawal date (the last date you can drop the class).

Courses offered at Colorado Mountain College include credit, continuing education (non-credit), and continuing education units (CEU) classes. Many short courses start throughout each semester. Checking the online class schedule throughout the semester will provide the most up-to-date course offerings and registration deadlines. Students are encouraged to register early to avoid low enrollment class cancellations or course wait lists.

Registration Methods

Colorado Mountain College offers five registration options:

  1. Online (preferred)

  2. In person

  3. Phone

  4. Mail

  5. Fax

Please contact your campus for questions or assistance. Click here to find your campus contact information.

Class schedules and registration information are also available on the Colorado Mountain College website at www.coloradomtn.edu/classes.

Early Registration and Financial Aid

In consultation with your academic advisor, students may register early for courses prior to the official registration date. Please note: students who have been awarded financial aid may use their funds to cover tuition and other billed expenses however; please be aware that disbursement of most financial aid occurs at the end of the add/drop period when enrollment changes have stopped. Disbursement of aid is typically 10 days into the start of each semester, so plan ahead for such costs as housing deposits, books and supplies. First-time loan borrowers have a 30 day delay on disbursement as required by federal regulation. If awarded financial aid is less than tuition and other CMC charges, students will need to set up a payment plan with their campus accounts manager to pay the difference. Failure to make such arrangements can result in students being dropped from classes. To be eligible for financial aid, it is necessary to declare an aide-eligible major on your admissions application. All bachelor and associate level programs are generally financial aid eligible, but not all certificate programs qualify. See the Financial Aid section of this document for more information regarding the application process and the application calendar.

Payment and Prerequisite Requirements

Students must sign up for Nelnet Payment Plan or have financial aid in place at the time of registration. A student is considered to be fully enrolled in a class if allowed to remain registered in the class through the class census date (generally 10 days after the start of each term).

Students who do not meet minimum course prerequisites, or who have not paid, and/or signed up for Nelnet Payment Plan may be dropped. Because of time constraints, prior notice of the drop will not be provided. Students who are dropped for non-payment will not automatically be reinstated in the class. The student may be required to join others on a waiting list.

Class Cancellations

Some classes may have early decision dates. This means that if sufficient enrollment is not evident at an established date prior to the class start date, the class may be canceled.

Late Registration

In accordance with college-wide registration procedures, students must be registered into a credit class (on campus, IVS or hybrid) by the end of the first scheduled class meeting. For online learning, students must be registered by the end of the day of the official class start date. Exceptions may be granted only during the first week of class by the Campus Dean, Campus Vice President or a designee. This procedure is in place to allow students the best possible chance for academic success. Note: late registration is not available for CMC short courses (course that meet for less than 5 days). Please see your campus registration staff for assistance.

Dropping a Class

To withdraw from a class (drop), you must log into Basecamp and drop in Student Planning. Notifying the instructor, your Advisor, or simply not attending class are not sufficient ways to ensure that you are withdrawn/dropped from class. If you cannot drop in Student Planning, you can submit and Add/Drop Form to any CMC site registration office. The date of the online drop, or the date the Add/Drop Form is received shall determine your eligibility to drop the class and/or receive any related funds.

Students may not drop (withdraw from) a class after the Class Withdrawal Date. This date is published in the class schedule. It is usually the date on which 75 percent of the course instruction has occurred. Students dropping (withdrawing from) a class after the census date published in the schedule will receive a “W” grade for the class.

Class Attendance

Students are expected to attend all classes. If you wish to drop a class, you are responsible for completing the Drop. Faculty members are authorized to drop students for excessive absences. You cannot, however, assume that a faculty member will drop you from a class. The actual number of absences necessary for a faculty member to consider dropping a student varies by course and instructor.

Administrative Withdrawal

The course instructor may drop a student from his/her class for excessive absences. Excessive absence is the point at which the faculty member feels that the student, due to absences, cannot successfully complete the course. The instructor is not, however, required to drop the student. Excessive absences can cause the student to earn a failing grade.              

If the faculty member drops (withdraws) a student, the student is awarded a grade of “AW” (Administrative Withdrawal). The instructor cannot drop a student after the Course Withdrawal Date. Students dropped through Administrative Withdrawal procedures do not receive a refund of tuition and/or fees.


This section discusses tuition and special charge refund policies.

Standard Class Refunds

You will receive a refund of tuition and fees for standard classes (classes which span a period longer than five days) if you drop the class within the first 15 percent of the semester (on or before the refund date). The refund date is published for each class in the semester class schedule.

To be eligible for a refund, you must log into Basecamp and drop the class in Student Planning. Lack of attendance does not constitute dropping a class. If you are unable to drop the class in Student Planning, you must submit an Add/Drop Form or written request to the registration office at your campus. It is your responsibility to ensure that the request is received by the registration office. The date of receipt of the request will be used to determine eligibility for refunds and/or final approval of the drop request.

No refund is given if a class is dropped after the refund date. Some courses will have a non-refundable course fee. If you are enrolled in a class that is canceled, you will receive a 100 percent refund of related tuition and fees.

Short Class Refunds

To receive a refund for a short class (one to five days in duration), you must log into Basecamp and drop the class in Student Planning or submit the Add/Drop Form two working days prior to the first day of class. Working days are defined as Monday through Friday for this purpose.

Special Charge Refunds

Some courses may have special charges that are required for the course. These special charges are usually charged to cover expenses external to the college, and may have early refund dates or be non-refundable. Please check the class schedule for this information

No Show Attendance Reporting

Colorado Mountain College Faculty and staff want you to be successful with reaching your educational goals. It starts with attending all of your classes.  For credit courses that start at the beginning of the semester, faculty must report “Never Attended” (no shows). For late starting classes, faculty must report ON the seventh (7) day after the course start date.

NOTE: a no-show for a face-to-face class is defined as lack of “attendance” where attendance is defined as one of the following:

   -  Physical class attendance where there is direct interaction between instructor and student

   -  Submission of an academic assignment

   -  Examination, interactive tutorial, or computer-assisted instruction

   -  Study group assigned by school

   -  Participation in online discussion about academic matters

   -  Documented initiation of contact with instructor to ask a question about an academic subject

NOTE: a no-show for an online class is a student who has not completed the introductory assignment(s) by the deadline.

“No-Show” reporting: if the student has not attended (per language above), the student will be reported as a no-show. Class reinstatement cannot occur after this point without significant documented extenuating circumstances.

No-Show Reporting and Financial Aid: if a student is dropped from a course (or courses) for non-attendance, the resultant loss in credit hours may cause a reduction and/or cancellation of his/her financial aid award. Like class reinstatement, financial aid awards can only be reinstated with documented extreme extenuating circumstances. Reinstatement in class DOES NOT guarantee financial aid reinstatement.

Course Load

Each course offered for college credit is assigned a specific credit hour value. The credit hours usually correspond to the number of class sessions per week. For example, a standard three credit hour course offered for the full 15-week semester will usually meet three hours per week.

To complete a two-year degree program in four semesters, you would need to enroll in approximately 15 or 16 hours per semester.

In general, the minimum requirement to be considered full-time is 12 credit hours. However, requirements for different types of financial assistance (financial aid, scholarships, veterans benefits, etc.) may vary. Be sure to read carefully all correspondence from these offices and agencies when you are planning your schedule.

Disabled students may, for some purposes, be considered full-time if taking fewer than 12 credit hours. Contact the Registrar for more information at 970-947-8328.

If you plan to enroll in more than 18 hours, you must obtain authorization from your College Counselor and/or the site administration.

Repeat Courses

All courses not designated repeatable for credit fall under the Course Repeat Policy. Each time a course is repeated it is recorded on the transcript. The most recent grade will be calculated in the cumulative GPA. Repeated courses will be counted one time only in the total credits earned. A course may be taken for a maximum of two (2) times (the original registration and repeated once) before written consent from the College Counselor or Instructional Administrator of the respective campus is required.

Requesting Readmittance

If you have not attended classes at CMC for three or more semesters, you are required to be readmitted and must complete a new admission application for the term in which you are enrolling.

Dual Credit/Concurrent Enrollment Programs Act (CEPA)

Many advanced high school students take Colorado Mountain College courses. Any high school student who is less than 21 years of age and is enrolled in the 9th grade of high school or higher is eligible for the CEPA program. Be sure to complete the following steps so you can enter the CEPA program:

  • Get approval from your high school Counselor.

  • Get approval from your school district’s Superintendent.

  • Submit a Concurrent Enrollment form with parent’s, high school officials’, and CMC Academic Counselor’s signatures.

  • Take a Placement test. You may provide ACT, SAT, or Accuplacer scores prior to registration. CMC offers the Accuplacer assessment in English, reading, and mathematics for placement purposes.

  • Submit completed course registration with parent’s signature. Adhere to CMC student rules and regulations as outlined in the Student Handbook.

  • Create an academic plan of study with your Academic Counselor that will help you satisfy all of your graduation requirements.

  • Basic skills remediation may be available through CMC in mathematics, English, and reading for students preparing for graduation to better prepare them for college level work.

According to the Concurrent Enrollment Program Act (HB 09-1319) all Colorado public high school students, regardless of the length of time they have lived in the state, will receive full state funding for participation in concurrent enrollment programs offered by their school. Also, the students registered in CEPA courses automatically qualify for resident tuition. This tuition classification only applies to courses that are receiving credit for both High School and College.

See more at: CEPA at CMC.

Earning Non-Traditional Credit

Colorado Mountain College recognizes that learning can take place in environments outside the traditional classroom. To recognize this learning and to equate it with traditional classroom learning, we have developed the following methods of awarding credits.

For courses which have standardized national exam equivalents can have credit awarded through use of these exams. Challenge Exams are utilized for guaranteed transfer courses or for courses which have no national exam equivalents. Likewise, Credit for Life Experience is used when neither a national exam nor a challenge exam is appropriate to the course.

Definition of Awarded and Earned Credits

National exam scores, Institutional Challenge Exams, or Credit for Life Experiences recognize prior learning. Credits representing this learning are considered to be awarded by the college.

Awarded credit hours are not included in meeting the minimum requirements for graduation. Only 50% of coursework toward a degree or certificate can be awarded credit.

Credits are considered to have been earned if they are the result of a student’s official registration in the class at Colorado Mountain College.

Credit for Standardized National Exams

Certain courses have nationally-recognized examinations which satisfy certain course and program requirements. Colorado Mountain College recognizes and accepts exam results for CLEP, AP, DSST (DANTES), Excelsior College Exam, and International Baccalaureate to award credit. Please contact your College Counselor to inquire about the acceptance and the required minimum score of a specific subject matter exam through one of these national testing agencies.

Challenge Exam Credits

You may take a challenge exam in lieu of enrolling in and taking a course. Contact a College Counselor at your campus for details. If you successfully complete a challenge exam by receiving a grade of “C-” or better, the credits allowed for the course will be posted to your transcript. Challenge exam grades of “D” or “F” will not be posted to your transcript. Challenge credits are posted to transcripts with a notation indicating the credit was awarded by examination.

After meeting with a Counselor they will coordinate with the Vice President of Academic Affairs to secure an approved method. After the examination has been established, you must make payment for the exam to the registration staff. This payment is non-refundable. You must be currently enrolled in other classes at Colorado Mountain College to qualify for a challenge exam. Current high school students may be granted an exception to the enrollment requirement when testing as part of a high school class.

You may take as many approved challenge exams as you wish, however, you may attempt only one exam per semester for each course.

For a list of available challenge exams and fees please click here.

Credit for Life Experiences

Colorado Mountain College has developed a procedure for evaluating your prior learning outside the classroom and through life experiences. This method of awarding credit may be authorized for courses which, as determined by the Vice President of Academic Affairs, cannot be effectively evaluated through the challenge exam system. This procedure determines the specific learning which has taken place and equates that learning with courses within the curriculum. Contact a College Counselor to determine the availability of a challenge exam for the specific Colorado Mountain College course. If a challenge exam is not available, the Counselor will provide a copy of the Guidebook for Credit for Life Experiences.

The fees for Credit for Life Experiences are non-refundable and are assessed before you turn in a portfolio. In-district fees are 50% of current tuition for the credits attempted through the portfolio process; service area fees are 50% of current tuition for the credits attempted through the portfolio process; in-state and out-of-state fees are 50% of current tuition for in-state residency for credits attempted through the portfolio process.

Credit for Military Service and Training

Credit may be awarded for certain types of military service and schools. The training/schooling must be approved and listed in the current Guide to the Evaluation of Education Experience in the Armed Services, prepared by the American Council on Education.

Transferring Credits into Colorado Mountain College

This section describes the requirements and processes for transferring credits into Colorado Mountain College.

International Transcript Evaluation Process

International transcripts are evaluated for Colorado Mountain College by a service agency. The fee for this service is paid by the student directly to the service agency. Copies of course outlines and/or syllabi from your previous courses may be required. Please contact www.edperspective.org or the Registrar’s office at Colorado Mountain College at 970-947-8328 to obtain the necessary information for having international transcripts evaluated for transfer credit.

Credits Not Accepted Into Colorado Mountain College

There are some courses which do not transfer or count as degree credit at Colorado Mountain College. These are grouped as follows:

  1. Developmental college courses such as developmental English, remedial mathematics, remedial reading, developmental reading, and remedial science.

  2. Career and technical courses not equivalent in content and/or level of Colorado Mountain College courses.

  3. No more than 20 quarter or 13 semester credits completed by correspondence at another institution.

  4. Courses in which a grade of “D+” or less was received (or a “P” grade, where “P” can be equal to “D+” or less level work).

  5. Religious courses which are not secular in content.

  6. Courses taken longer than 10 years ago must be reviewed by the Transcript Evaluator before they are accepted.

Transfer Evaluation and Reporting Process

Regular academic courses completed with a grade of “C-” or better are generally accepted in transfer. Colorado Mountain College accepts credits from colleges and universities accredited by regional accrediting agencies. If your college was accredited by a nationally recognized agency other than a member of the Association of Schools and Colleges, please contact the Registrar to confirm whether or not your credits are transferable at 970-947-8328.

To determine the number of credits which will be accepted in transfer to Colorado Mountain College, we prepare a Transfer Evaluation Report. This report compares an official (student copy not accepted) transcript from the transfer institution with courses at Colorado Mountain College. Equivalent course codes are assigned where possible. Not all transfer-level courses are granted an equivalent, but credit in the same general area may be allowed. If necessary, the evaluator will use the catalog course descriptions from the transferring institution as the official statement of course content. Students may be requested to provide official course descriptions for specific courses.

If you have earned credit from a non-accredited institution you may attempt to have the learning recognized through our challenge exam system. See Earning Non-Traditional Credit earlier in this chapter for more details.

Electronic transcripts may be sent from the previous institution to registrar@coloradomtn.edu.

Official academic transcripts must be sent to the Central Registrar’s Office.

Colorado Mountain College
Registrar Office - Transcripts
802 Grand Avenue
Glenwood Springs, CO 81601

Transfer Evaluation Appeals Process

If you are not satisfied with the completed Transfer Evaluation Report, you may submit a written appeal to the Registrar. The Registrar will review the appeal (consulting faculty and/or academic administration as appropriate) prior to making a final decision.

Grading System and Options

Grade reports are currently available through Basecamp in Student Planning. End of semester grades are available approximately one week after classes end.

On the report, you will receive one of the following symbols for each course enrollment (unless officially withdrawn prior to the course census date):

Grade Meaning Quality Points
A Excellent 4.0
A-   3.7
B+   3.3
B Above Average 3.0
B-   2.7
C+   2.3
C Average 2.0
C-   1.7
D+   1.3
D Poor 1.0
D-   0.7
F Fail 0.0
W Withdrawal
AW Administrative Withdrawal
AU Audit
P Pass
I Incomplete
NG No Grade Assigned
IP In Progress

Grading Options

You select your grade option at the time you register for classes. You may change your grade option up to the class refund/census date by contacting the registration staff at your campus. Most courses offer the three grading options described below.

Letter Grade Options

If you do not clearly express your desire to be evaluated using one of the grading options outlined, you will be automatically evaluated using the letter grade option. These grades are listed (A-F) under the Grading System and Options section in this chapter.

Audit Option

Students selecting the Audit Option receive an “AU” as the final grade. This means only that the student registered for the course. Audit students are not required to submit papers or take exams, but all risk management and student conduct requirements still apply. Students registered under this option earn no quality points or credit hours. Students cannot meet prerequisite requirements through this grade option. Students registered under the course audit option may re-take the course for credit later.

Pass/Fail Option

If you select the Pass/Fail Option, you will receive a “P” for the class if you earn the equivalent of a “C-” or better for the course. Likewise, an “F” is assigned if you earn a “D+”, “D”, “D-“, or “F”.

Although all courses are available through this option, only 20 percent of all courses used to meet degree/certificate requirements can be earned through the Pass/Fail Option. Courses awarded by standardized national exams, i.e., CLEP, AP, DSST (DANTES), IB or Excelsior College Exam, are given a “P” grade and are not included in the 20 percent calculation. Courses of .5 credit hours or less must be graded with the Pass/Fail Option.

Short workshops (.5 credits or less) are only available through this grading option. You must register for these courses through the Pass/Fail or Audit Options.

What is an Incomplete Grade?

The “Incomplete” grade is a temporary grade, agreed upon by the instructor, indicating that the student has a satisfactory record of work completed but, for exceptional reasons, was unable to complete the final assignments due to unexpected events. It is designed for students who, because of documented illness/hospitalization or circumstances beyond their control such as military deployment or unexpected death of an immediate family member are unable to complete their course work within the semester but have completed a majority of the course work (75% of the total course points made up of assignments, tests, papers, lab work, outdoor field experience, etc.) in a satisfactory manner (C grade, 70% or better). The student is responsible for initiating the request for an “Incomplete” grade from the instructor.

When to Request an Incomplete Grade:

If circumstances beyond your control at or near the end of the semester would prevent you from completing the course, gather your written documentation describing the situation and consult your instructor immediately. The instructor will determine whether you have a reasonable chance of satisfactorily completing the remaining activities.

How to Request an Incomplete Grade:

In requesting an “Incomplete” grade, the student and the instructor will complete the following information for evaluation:

  • The student will provide written documentation of circumstances leading to “incomplete grade” situation

  • Evidence of completion of 75% of the total semester course points as described above and completed work at a C level (70%) or higher. Completion of a work plan (contract) that includes how assignments and tests will be completed to meet course requirements in the allotted time

  • Both the instructor and the student must acknowledge this written contract and keep a copy of the acknowledgment as documentation (Incomplete Course Form)

  • Instructional supervisors co-sign the incomplete contract

NOTE: You are encouraged to let the instructor know as soon as possible if you are having difficulties with any part of the course. However, incomplete grades are granted at the discretion of the instructor and are not automatic. The instructor’s decision to authorize or not authorize an incomplete grade is final. At no time will the “Incomplete” grade be used as entrance into another current or future course section. The faculty member may allow up to one semester (not including summer) to complete the course requirements. Work must be completed in sufficient time for the grade change form to be received by the Registrar’s Office prior to the end of the semester date printed in the catalog. Those grades that are not changed by the end of the semester will automatically become failing grades (F).

Grade Appeals

Evaluating student academic performance and assigning grades is one of the main professional responsibilities of the faculty. The student may, however, appeal an assigned grade if he/she has evidence indicating that the grade was awarded in a capricious manner. Capricious grading is defined as one or both of the following:

  1. The faculty member used criteria other than performance in the course.

  2. The standards used to assign the final grade deviated substantially from the standards announced and/or were not uniformly applied to others in the class.

Please note, simple disagreement with the subjective judgment of the instructor does not support the charge of capriciousness.

Students wishing to appeal a grade must first discuss the grade assignment with the instructor. If the matter is not resolved, a written notice of appeal must be submitted to the Vice President or Dean of the Colorado Mountain College campus that offered the class. This notice of appeal must be received within 30 days after the first day of classes for the following term.

Living On Campus

Food Service Choices and Costs

When you live in college housing, you will automatically participate in the food service program. Other students may purchase food service through a meal program or a la carte. All three residential campuses offer different selections in their meal plan programs depending on your campus location. Prices are subject to change annually.

2017-2018 Food Service Costs per semester:

Meals + FP*
Steamboat Springs
19 (+100 FP)
Steamboat Springs
14 (+300 FP)
Spring Valley at Glenwood Springs
23 (+100 FP)
Spring Valley at Glenwood Spring
19 (+100 FP)
Spring Valley at Glenwood Spring
14 (+100 FP)
Leadville 19 (+100 FP) $2161
14 (+300 FP)
Commuter Students (all campuses)
10 (+100 FP)

* FP (Flex Points/Dollars available to spend in Cafe’)

2017-2018 prices are subject to change.

Housing Choices and Costs

All of our residence halls are modern and comfortable, with high speed Internet access and private bathrooms. As long as you apply early, you will have an opportunity to choose or specify your ideal roommate and living situation, possibly even a single room. (Subject to availability.)

2017-2018 Housing Rates per semester for student housing at Steamboat Springs, Leadville and Spring Valley at Glenwood Springs campuses are:


2017-2018 prices are subject to change.

Housing Applications and Deposits

Living on campus is a great opportunity to be close to all the action and conveniences of college life. Steamboat Springs, Spring Valley at Glenwood Springs and Leadville campuses require all new students under age 21 to live on campus in the residence halls for their first academic year. Reserve your space by submitting a $300 security deposit and completing the online housing application here: Housing and Food Service Agreement. Housing is limited and can fill quickly. Applicants are encouraged to submit their CMC and housing applications along with the security deposit early.

For information on the Security Deposit Refund Policy or Live-On Policy please contact Central Admissions at JoinUs@coloradomtn.edu, campus Student Service Staff, or Housing Staff.

Residence Hall Computer Access, Fees and Hardware Requirements

Each room is equipped with wired connections for a faster and more reliable connection, wireless is available throughout the building. A $100 technology access fee is charged per semester to all residence hall students.

Network Configuration:

The ResNet will support any operating system that complies with industry standard TCP/IP communication protocols. The ResNet uses DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) to assign IP addresses to computers and wireless devices. The DHCP option should be enabled on your computer’s TCP/IP properties. Wireless connectivity is available within the residence hall, but an in-room wired connection will provide a faster and more reliable connection. The supported wireless standards are 802.11 a/g/n. Students living within the residence hall are not allowed to connect their personal wireless router or wireless access point to the wired Ethernet port within their rooms.       

Windows Desktop or Laptop

  • Operating System, Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10

  • 10/100/1000 Base-T Ethernet Network Card minimum

  • RJ 45 CAT 5 (Category 5) Cable or higher (9 to 15 feet long)

  • Wireless capabilities of 802.11 a/g/n

  • Current up-to-date virus protection software

Apple Computer

  • OS X 10.5 Leopard or higher with latest updates installed

  • 10/100/1000 Base-T Ethernet Network Card minimum

  • Wireless capabilities of 802.11 a/g/n

  • RJ 45 CAT 5 (Category 5) Cable or higher (9 to 15 feet long)

  • Current up-to-date virus protection software