Jul 17, 2024  
2024-2025 Catalog 
2024-2025 Catalog

Human Services (BA)

CMC is committed to providing its communities service-oriented, skilled individuals who believe that positive, strength-based approaches, with the provision of timely and culturally responsive resources can change the world. A person in this field will help others learn to use their own strengths to overcome challenges, create a better life, or simply reduce stressors. The people in this field work to support individuals, families, groups, and communities.

The Bachelor of Arts in Human Services prepares graduates for entry level positions and the pursuit of graduate degrees in areas such as psychology, social work, counseling, addictions, behavioral and public health.

The skill set will prepare graduates for employment in businesses, schools, hospitals, government, private practices, and community organizations. Jobs associated with a bachelors in human services include but are not limited to mental health and addiction recovery, law enforcement, Addictions Specialist, Case Manager, Child Advocate, Family Support Case Manager, and Parole Officer.

Within the studies of this program, the students also learn about their own growth-oriented capacities as a reflective, life-long learner. Using both in the classroom and real-life experiences, students apply scientifically based practices that focus on human strengths. The students master techniques that facilitate or teach skills to enhance the capacity of the person to thrive as an individual, and as part of the broader communities in which they live (e.g., family, work, spiritual, recreational).

The Bachelor of Arts in Human Services degree program requires students to complete both (a) In-Person courses, at a CMC campus, and (b) Remote Real-Time courses.

Approximately 60% of the course offerings are available in a Remote Real-Time format that can be taken virtually. The other 40% of courses are being offered In-Person at each of the following campuses: Breckenridge, Steamboat Springs, Glenwood Springs, Rifle, and Vail Valley at Edwards. For additional program location & modality information, please see Academic Programs at Colorado Mountain College.

CMC’s BA in Human Services program also offers minors in Behavioral Studies, Psychology, and Addictions Studies. Please contact a college campus counselor or academic advisor at the preferred campus for more information.

General Education Requirements

Written Communication (GT-CO1-2)

2 courses (6 credits):

Mathematics (GT-MA1)

Select 1 course (3-4 credits) from content area GT-MA1: Mathematics  

Arts & Humanities (GT-AH1-4)

Select 3 courses (9 credits) from content areas:

GT-AH1: Arts and Expression   
GT-AH2: Literature and Humanities   
GT-AH3: Ways of Thinking   
GT-AH4: World Languages  

Important Note: No more than two (2) courses from any one category.

History (GT-HI1)

Select 1 course (3 credits) from content area GT-HI1: History  

Social & Behavioral Sciences (GT-SS1-3)

Select 2 courses (6 credits) from content areas:

GT-SS1: Economic or Political Systems  
GT-SS2: Geography  
GT-SS3: Human Behavior, Culture, and Social Frameworks  

NOTE: PSY 1001  and PSY 1002  are preferred

Natural & Physical Sciences (GT-SC1-2)

2 courses (7-8 credits):

Upper-Division Electives or Minor (15-18 credits)

  •     Advised Electives 15.0 Credits
    Select any 3000-4999 course from prefixes PSY, CSL, HMS  
  •    OR select a minor below 15.0 - 18.0 Credits

Open Electives (12-15 credits)

Students are encouraged to take other courses which may lead to the exploration of personal and professional interests. Electives may include any Guaranteed Transfer (◆), General Education Transfer (✽), or CSL courses numbered 1000-2999 and any course numbered 3000-4999. With the exception of CSL courses, no more than 6 electives credits may be from the same academic area (Prefix). It is highly recommended that students seek academic advising to support their degree planning.  

  •     Advised Electives  12.0 - 15.0 Credits

Recommended elective courses: 

Minimum Hours Required

General Education Requirements (34-36 credits)
Lower-Division Requirements (18 credits)
Upper-Division Requirements (36 credits)
Upper-Division Electives or Minor (15-18 credits)
Open Electives (12-15 credits)

Total Credits Earned for BA Human Services (120 credits)


State Guaranteed Transfer 

Generally Transferable

Not all programs/courses are available at every campus and may require travel to another campus or access via technology-enabled learning (videoconferencing, hybrid, or online).