Apr 13, 2024  
2011-2012 Catalog 
2011-2012 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Getting In

This chapter contains practical information to make sure you get off to a solid start at CMC. How to determine your residency status and the associated tuition costs, how to apply for admission, register for classes, and receive grades are all described in this section.

Lessons learned in the mountains can help you achieve your dreams. Don’t let a technicality get in your way. Don’t hamper your education by misunderstanding a policy. Read the policies first.


The following admissions procedures are used primarily for full-time students enrolling at our residential campuses. For admission to community campuses, please refer to the current Colorado Mountain College class schedule.

Regular Admissions Requirements

You may be granted regular admission to Colorado Mountain College if you are a high school graduate, or have earned a General Educational Development Certificate (GED). If you are not a high school graduate, you may also be admitted if you are 17 years of age or older.

All admissions are also based upon the following conditions:

  • Certain programs may have limited enrollments due to staffing and facility constraints. Students are admitted based upon program admission criteria and as staffing and facilities permit.
  • Transfer students seeking a degree or certificate program at a residential campus should have a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.00 on a 4.00 scale at previous colleges attended in order to be considered for admission to Colorado Mountain College. Exceptions may be approved by the Assistant Vice President, Enrollment Services.
  • ACT or SAT scores are recommended and are used for advisement and placement. If you are seeking a degree and have not completed ACT or SAT exams prior to enrollment, you will be required to take a placement test.  Please contact Central Admissions at 970-945-8691 for further information.

Immunization Requirement

Colorado Mountain College must comply with the state immunization law. This law requires certain full-time students to provide documentation concerning their immunization against measles, mumps, and rubella. The Registrar’s Office will notify you if this documentation is required. Questions may be addressed to the Student Services Office at your site/campus.

Selective Service Registration

Colorado law requires all males between the ages of 18-25 to certify their registration with the Selective Service. If a student is required to be registered and has not, state law prohibits the College from allowing him to enroll.

Academic Placement & Testing

All first-time students undergo testing in reading, writing, and mathematics at the beginning of their first semester of study. Required test scores may change without notice. See your College Counselor.

If you do not meet the minimum competency standards established by the college, you may be required to complete prerequisite developmental courses which will help develop the skills you need to succeed in college-level work. Students needing accommodations for testing must contact the Disabilities Services Coordinator.

Placement Test Requirements

Colorado Mountain College requires placement tests to determine which classes best suit your abilities. You will not be required to take these tests if:

  1. You have taken an ACT test and achieved an English score of 18, a reading score of 17, and a math score of 23. This test must have been completed within five years of registration.
    You have taken an SAT test and achieved a critical reading score of 440 for English, a critical reading score of 430 for reading, and a math score of 460. This test must have been completed within five years of registration.
  2. You have successfully completed (“C-” or above) the equivalent course to ENG 121 and MAT 121 at a previous college. An official transcript must be provided when you are admitted.
  3. You are awarded credit in Math and English through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) or through Advanced Placement Examinations.
  4. You have an associates degree or higher.

Application Process

Applying for admission to Colorado Mountain College is easy and there is no application fee. Students who wish to take credit classes may be required to demonstrate proficiency in college level reading, English, and math prior to enrolling in college level courses.

New Student: “I have never attended college before”

  1. Complete and submit your admission application. The application is available online at www.coloradomtn.edu.
  2. Submit high school transcripts (only for students who have graduated within the last five years).
  3. Submit your ACT or SAT scores if taken within the last five years. These tests are not required for admission; however, certain scores may exempt you from placement testing and may be required for some academic programs.
  4. Take Accuplacer Placement Test (if necessary) available at any CMC campus.
  5. Colorado law requires all college freshmen born since January 1, 1957, to have had two immunizations each against measles, mumps, and rubella. You must provide proof of these immunizations before you will be allowed to register for classes. This law affects all residential campuses and associated commuter sites.
  6. Schedule an advising appointment with a CMC College Counselor at the campus you plan on attending.
  7. Arrange financing to pay for your college expenses.

Transfer Student: “I am transferring from a college or university to CMC”

  1. Complete and submit your admission application. The application is available online at www.coloradomtn.edu.
  2. Have your previous college(s)/ university(ies) send official academic transcripts to CMC’s Registrar’s Office.
  3. Take Accuplacer Placement Test (if necessary) available at any CMC campus.
  4. Colorado law requires all college freshmen born since January 1, 1957, to have had two immunizations each against measles, mumps, and rubella. You must provide proof of these immunizations before you will be allowed to register for classes. This law affects all residential campuses and associated commuter sites.

Returning CMC Student: “I have not taken classes at CMC in over one year”

  1. Complete and submit your admission application. The application is available online at www.coloradomtn.edu.
  2. Schedule an advising appointment with a CMC College Counselor at the campus you plan on attending.
  3. Arrange financing to pay for your college expenses.

International Student Admission (F1 Student Visa)

Colorado Mountain College is authorized by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to admit non-immigrant students to only the CMC in Glenwood Springs - Spring Valley campus, the CMC in Leadville campus, the CMC in Steamboat Springs campus, and the CMC in Edwards campus. International students must submit an International Student Admission Application and all supporting documentation prior to the application deadline. Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.

  1. Complete and submit International Student Admission Application and supporting documents. Deadlines are May 1st for fall semester and October 1st for spring semester.
  2. Submit official college/university transcripts (if applicable). International transcripts must be certified and translated into English. Please request the “Catalog Match” translation. Go to www.ece.org for information. Student is responsible for all fees associated with translation services.  
  3. If your native language is other than English, you must submit Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) test results with a minimum total score of 500 on the written exam and 173 or higher on the computer exam. Go to www.toefl.org for more information. We also accept the Michigan Test of English Language Proficiency (minimum score of 80); recommendations from the English Language School (completion Level 109); or completion of Level 5-advanced at an Intensive English Language Center.
  4. Financial certification verifying the financial resources to pay for one full year of student expenses at CMC.
  5. Contact the Campus Dean of Student Affairs at the campus you plan on attending after the International Admission application and documents have been submitted.
  6. I-20 Form: The CMC designated school official will send you this form after we receive items 1 through 4 above, if you meet admission requirements. The I-20 Form is required to obtain a visa or to transfer from another school.
  7. Tuition and fees for international students: Out-of-state tuition and fee charges apply. Financial aid is not available for international students.
  8. Housing for international students: We strongly recommend that international students live in on-campus housing. Housing information will be mailed with letters of acceptance or upon request.
  9. International students are required to purchase the International Student Health  Insurance Policy offered through Colorado Mountain College.

Helpful online information for international students is available at Study in the USA: www.studyusa.com.

Selective Admissions Programs

You might be admitted to the college, but not accepted to a particular program due to enrollment limits or academic requirements. In this event, a College Counselor will help you plan a schedule for overcoming scholastic deficiencies or will suggest alternative courses or programs.

In programs where enrollment is limited due to academic requirements, meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee admission to the program. Admission to these programs is based upon academic and personal qualifications considered necessary for successful practice in the occupation. For further details about programs with limited enrollments and specialized admission requirements, please contact the Central Admissions Office at joinus@coloradomtn.edu.

Residency Classification

Domicile is defined by Colorado law. To be domiciled in Colorado for tuition classification purposes, the student (or his/her parent/legal guardian as prescribed by the law) must have physical presence in the state and/or district and an intent to maintain that as a true, fixed permanent place of residence. You may be required to furnish the following documents to assist in the verification of residency: Colorado state income tax returns, current driver’s license, motor vehicle registration and voter’s registration; proof of physical presence such as rent receipts, cancelled checks, or other acceptable evidence; and a petition for residency classification.

If you feel you have been incorrectly classified, you may request a tuition reclassification petition and a copy of the summary of the state statutes governing tuition classification from the Tuition Classification Officer at any Colorado Mountain College campus. This petition will be processed only if you have an application for admission on file or are currently enrolled. The petition must be submitted no later than 10 working days after the start of the semester or initial registration for the mid-semester starting classes.

Colorado Resident

To be classified as a Colorado resident for tuition purposes, you must be domiciled in the state for 12 months before becoming eligible for a change in residence classification under the tuition classification law.

If you are under the age of 23, you must prove emancipation from your parents if they are not legal residents of the district/state.

In-District Resident

To gain in-district status for tuition purposes, you must be a Colorado state resident and be domiciled in the six-county Colorado Mountain College district for a minimum period of 32 days prior to registration. If you are under the age of 23, you must prove emancipation from your parents if they reside out of the district. If you gain in-state status while residing in the district, you may earn in-district status at the time of your classification as in-state.

Any student who willfully gives wrong or misleading information to avoid paying non-resident tuition is subject to legal and disciplinary action. Disputes of the tuition classification beyond the petition are considered by the CMC Tuition Classification Review Board appointed by the Assistant Vice President, Enrollment Services.

Out-of-State Resident

An out-of-state resident is a person domiciled in Colorado for less than twelve months.

ADA Physical and  Academic Requirements

Colorado Mountain College occupational certificates and degrees have certain physical and academic standards which you will be required to meet before you are admitted to the program. Students accepted into the college’s vocational programs must be physically, mentally, and emotionally self-supportive with reasonable accommodations.

If you are concerned about meeting the physical and academic standards, please contact the Disability Services Coordinator who will determine your ability to participate in the program. See the Support Services for Students with Disabilities  section in the Finding Help chapter.


This section describes the policies and processes for adding and dropping classes and policies related to class attendance, course load, and transferring credits into Colorado Mountain College.

Standard Registration Periods

CMC’s academic year is three semester (summer, fall, spring). Standard registration periods pertain to standard and non-standard length credit courses.

Early Registration provides an opportunity for currently enrolled degree- or certificate-seeking students to register early for the upcoming semester. Students must meet campus academic advising requirements and have a zero balance on their account. Payment is deferred to a later date and not due at the time of early registration. An invoice will be mailed to the student. Fax-in, in-person, and phone-in registration methods are available during this period.

Registration is open to all students and for all class types (credit, continuing education/non-credit, and CEU). All methods of registration are available for students to use. Payment is due at the time of registration during this period.

Drop/Add Period is intended for students making changes to their current schedule or registering for a standard length course before the course has started. Some flexibility is needed to allow for students to drop/add courses or register for a course provided they meet the following “Drop/Add Period” criteria:

  • Currently registered student dropping and/or adding course to make a schedule change will be allowed to register after the first class session during the drop/add period with approval from both the course Faculty and Campus Instructional Leader or designee.
  • Students starting the registration process are allowed to register for a class during drop/add period one day before the first class session. Student must meet campus advising requirements and get approval from the Academic Advisor or designee.

The standard drop/add registration form will be used for this registration transaction.

Late Starting Classes: These classes are intended for students to add classes to their schedule or for a new student to get registered for classes that have not started.

Before You Register

For your success, we suggest that you meet with your Faculty Advisor or a College Counselor as you plan your semester schedule. The class schedule from each campus shows registration times and locations. This schedule, printed each semester for each campus, provides critical information concerning each course: when and where the course meets, the teacher, and the cost. The schedule also provides important dates such as the withdrawal date (the last date you can drop the class).

Courses offered at Colorado Mountain College include credit, continuing education (non-credit), and continuing education units (CEU) classes. Many short courses start throughout each semester. Checking the online class schedule throughout the semester will provide the most up-to-date course offerings and registration deadlines. Students are encouraged to register early to avoid low enrollment class cancellations or course waitlists.

The Five Registration Methods

Colorado Mountain College offers five registration options:

  1. Mail
  2. Fax
  3. Phone
  4. Online (WebAdvisor)
  5. In person

Class schedules and registration information are also available on the Colorado Mountain College website at www.coloradomtn.edu/classes.

Preregistration and Financial Aid

To ensure degree planning success, current students may “preregister” for courses prior to the official registration date. Please note: students who have been awarded financial aid may use their funds to cover tuition at the payment deadline. Sufficient funds must be available or students will be dropped from their classes. To be eligible for financial aid, it is also necessary to declare an intended major on your admission application. See the Financial Aid section of this document for more information on the financial aid applications process and the application calendar.

Payment and Prerequisite Requirements

Students must sign up for Nelnet Payment Plan or have financial aid in place at the time of registration. A student is considered to be fully enrolled in a class if allowed to remain registered in the class through the class census date.

Students who do not meet minimum course prerequisites, or who have not paid, and/or signed up for Nelnet Payment Plan may be dropped. Because of time constraints, prior notice of the drop will not be provided. Students who are dropped for non-payment will not automatically be reinstated in the class. The student may be required to join others on a waiting list.

Adding a Class

To register for a class (add), you must complete an Add/Drop Registration Form and submit it to your campus registration office. Classes may be added or dropped from your schedule only within the dates established for each class. These dates are published in the semester class schedule

Class Cancellations and Late Registration

Some classes may have early decision dates. This means that if sufficient enrollment is not evident at an established date prior to the class start date, the class may be cancelled. In general, however, students may register for, or add, a class through the first day of class.

Drop/Add Period is intended for students making changes to their current schedule or registering for a standard length course before the course has started. Some flexibility is needed to allow for students to drop/add courses or register for a course provided they meet the following “Drop/Add Period” criteria:

  • Currently registered student dropping and/or adding course to make a schedule change will be allowed to register after the first class session during the drop/add period with approval from both the course faculty and campus instructional leader or designee.
  • Students starting the registration process are allowed to register for a class during drop/add period one day before the first class session. Student must meet campus advising requirements and get approval from the academic advisor or designee.

The standard drop/add registration form will be used for this registration transaction.

Class Attendance

Students are expected to attend all classes. If you wish to drop a class, you are responsible for completing the necessary Drop Form. Faculty members are authorized to drop students for excessive absences. You cannot, however, assume that a faculty member will drop you from a class. The actual number of absences necessary for a faculty member to consider dropping a student varies by course and instructor. Be sure to discuss this matter with your instructor to determine his/her minimum expectations.

Course Load

Each course offered for college credit is assigned a specific credit hour value. The credit hours usually correspond to the number of class sessions per week. For example, a standard three credit hour course offered for the full 15-week semester will usually meet three hours per week.

To complete a two-year degree program in four semesters, you would need to enroll in approximately 15 or 16 hours per semester.

In general, the minimum requirement to be considered full-time is 12 credit hours. However, requirements for different types of financial assistance (financial aid, scholarships, veterans benefits, etc.) may vary. Be sure to read carefully all correspondence from these offices and agencies when you are planning your schedule.

Disabled students may, for some purposes, be considered full-time if taking fewer than 12 credit hours. Contact the Registrar for more information.

If you plan to enroll in more than 18 hours, you must obtain authorization from your College Counselor and/or the site administration. Please contact the Registration Office for information concerning overload approval requirements.

Repeat Courses

All courses not designated repeatable for credit fall under the Course Repeat Policy. Each time a course is repeated it is recorded on the transcript. The most recent grade will be calculated in the cumulative GPA. Repeated courses will be counted one time only in the total credits earned. A course may be taken for a maximum of two (2) times (the original registration and repeated once) before written consent from the College Counselor or Instructional Administrator of the respective campus is required.

Requesting Readmittance

If you have been gone from CMC for three or more semesters, you are required to be readmitted and must complete a new admission application for the term in which you are enrolling.

Earning Non-Traditional Credit

Colorado Mountain College recognizes that learning can take place in environments outside the traditional classroom. To recognize this learning and to equate it with traditional classroom learning, we have developed the following methods of awarding credits.

These are listed in the order of preference established by the college. For example, courses which have standardized national exam equivalents should have credit awarded through use of these exams. Challenge Exams are utilized for courses which have no national exam equivalents. Likewise, Credit for Life Experience is used when neither a national exam nor a challenge exam is appropriate to the course.

Definition of Awarded and Earned Credits

National exam scores, Challenge Exams, or Credit for Life Experiences recognize prior learning. Credits representing this learning are considered to be awarded by the college.

Awarded hours are not included in meeting the minimum requirements for graduation.

Credits are considered to have been earned if they are the result of a student’s official registration in the class at Colorado Mountain College.

Credit for Standardized National Exams

Certain courses have nationally-recognized examinations which satisfy certain course and program requirements. Colorado Mountain College recognizes and accepts exam results for CLEP, AP, DSST (DANTES), Excelsior College Exam, and International Baccalaureate to award credit. Please contact your College Counselor to inquire about the acceptance and the required minimum score of a specific subject matter exam through one of these national testing agencies.

Challenge Exam Credits

You may take a challenge exam in lieu of enrolling in and taking a course. Contact a College Counselor at your campus for details. If you successfully complete a challenge exam by receiving a grade of “C-” or better, the credits allowed for the course will be posted to your transcript. Challenge exam grades of “D” or “F” will not be posted to your transcript. Challenge credits are posted to transcripts with a notation indicating the credit was awarded by examination.

You must submit an application letter to the College Counselor stating which course(s) you wish to challenge. The Counselor then coordinates with the Senior Vice President of Academic Affairs to secure an approved method. After the examination has been established, you make payment to the registration staff. This payment is non-refundable. You must be currently enrolled in other classes at Colorado Mountain College to qualify for a challenge exam.

You may take as many approved challenge exams as you wish, however, you may attempt only one exam per semester for each course.

Fees for challenge exams are non-refundable and are assessed before you attempt to challenge a course. Please contact your College Counselor for fee information.

Credit for Life Experiences

Colorado Mountain College has developed a procedure for evaluating your prior learning outside the classroom and through life experiences. This method of awarding credit may be authorized for courses which, as determined by the Senior Vice President of Academic Affairs, cannot be effectively evaluated through the challenge exam system. This procedure determines the specific learning which has taken place and equates that learning with courses within the curriculum. Contact a College Counselor to determine the availability of a challenge exam for the specific Colorado Mountain College course. If a challenge exam is not available, the Counselor will provide a copy of the Guidebook for Credit for Life Experiences.

The fees for Credit for Life Experiences are non-refundable and are assessed before you turn in a portfolio. In-District fees are 50 percent of current tuition for the credits attempted through the portfolio process; in-state and out-of-state fees are 50 percent of current tuition for in-state residency for credits attempted through the portfolio process.

Credit for Military Service and Training

Credit may be awarded for certain types of military service and schools. The training/schooling must be approved and listed in the current Guide to the Evaluation of Education Experience in the Armed Services, prepared by the American Council on Education.

Transferring Credits into Colorado Mountain College

This section describes the requirements and processes for transferring credits into Colorado Mountain College.

International Transcript Evaluation Process

International transcripts are evaluated for Colorado Mountain College by a service agency. The fee for this service is paid by the student directly to the service agency. Copies of course outlines and/or syllabi from your previous courses may be required. Please contact the Registrar’s office at Colorado Mountain College to obtain the necessary information for having international transcripts evaluated for transfer credit.

Credits Not Accepted Into Colorado Mountain College

There are some courses which do not transfer or count as degree credit at Colorado Mountain College. These are grouped as follows:

  1. Developmental college courses such as developmental English, remedial mathematics, remedial reading, developmental reading, and remedial science.
  2. Career and technical courses not equivalent in content and/or level of Colorado Mountain College courses.
  3. No more than 20 quarter or 13 semester credits completed by correspondence at another institution.
  4. Courses in which a grade of “D+” or less was received (or a “P” grade, where “P” can be equal to “D+” or less level work).
  5. Religious courses which are not secular  in content.
  6. Courses taken longer than 10 years ago must be reviewed by the Transcript Evaluator before they are accepted.

Transfer Evaluation and Reporting Process

Regular academic courses completed with a grade of “C-” or better are generally accepted in transfer. Colorado Mountain College accepts credits earned from colleges and universities accredited by regional accrediting agencies. If your college was accredited by a nationally recognized agency other than a member of the Association of Schools and Colleges, please contact the Registrar to confirm whether or not your credits are transferable.

To determine the number of credits which will be accepted in transfer to Colorado Mountain College, we prepare a Transfer Evaluation Report. This report compares an official (student copy not accepted) transcript from the transfer institution with courses at Colorado Mountain College. Equivalent course codes are assigned where possible. Not all transfer-level courses are granted an equivalent, but credit in the same general area may be allowed. If necessary, the evaluator will use the catalog course descriptions from the transferring institution as the official statement of course content. Students may be requested to provide official course descriptions for specific courses.

If you have earned credit from a non-accredited institution you may attempt to have the learning recognized through our challenge exam system. See Earning Non-Traditional Credit earlier in this chapter for more details.

Official academic transcripts must be sent to the Central Registrar’s Office.

Colorado Mountain College
Registrar Office – Transcripts
831 Grand Avenue
Glenwood Springs, CO 81601

Transfer Evaluation Appeals Process

If you are not satisfied with the completed Transfer Evaluation Report, you may submit a written appeal to the Registrar. The Registrar will review the appeal (consulting faculty and/or academic administration as appropriate) prior to making a final decision.

Dropping a Class

To withdraw from a class (drop), you must complete an Add/Drop Form and submit it to any CMC site registration office. Signature and date are required. Notifying the instructor, your Advisor, or simply not attending class are not sufficient ways to ensure that you are withdrawn/dropped from the class. If you cannot submit an Add/Drop Form to any CMC site Registration Office, you must submit a written request to be dropped. This request must be submitted to any CMC site registration office. The date the written notice or Add/Drop Form is received shall determine your eligibility to drop the class and/or receive any related refunds.

Students may not drop (withdraw from) a class after the Class Withdrawal Date. This date is published in the class schedule. It is usually the date on which 75 percent of the course instruction has occurred. Students dropping (withdrawing from) a class after the census date published in the schedule will receive a “W” grade for the class.

Administrative Withdrawal

The course instructor may drop a student from his/her class for excessive absences. Excessive absence is the point at which the faculty member feels that the student, due to absences, cannot successfully complete the course. The instructor is not, however, required to drop the student. Excessive absences can cause the student to earn a failing grade.

If the faculty member drops (withdraws) a student, the student is awarded a grade of “AW” (Administrative Withdrawal). The instructor cannot drop a student after the Course Withdrawal Date. Students dropped through Administrative Withdrawal procedures do not receive a refund of tuition and/or fees.

Grading System and Options

You will receive a grade report for current semester courses at the end of each term. This grade report is mailed to your preferred mailing address. Reports are mailed approximately one week after the end of the academic term.

On the report, you will receive one of the following symbols for each course enrollment (unless officially withdrawn prior to the course census date):

Meaning Quality Points
A Excellent 4.0
A-   3.7
B+   3.3
B Above Average 3.0
B-   2.7
C+   2.3
C Average 2.0
C-   1.7
D+   1.3
D Poor 1.0
D-   0.7
F Fail 0.0
W Withdrawal
AW Administrative Withdrawal
AU Audit
P Pass
I Incomplete
NG No Grade Assigned
IP In Progress

Grading Options

You select your grade option at the time you register for classes. You may change your grade option up to the class refund/census date by contacting the registration staff at your campus. Most courses offer the three grading options described below.

Letter Grade Option

If you do not clearly express your desire to be evaluated using one of the grading options outlined, you will be automatically evaluated using the letter grade option. These grades are listed (A-F) under the Grading System and Options section in this chapter.

Audit Option

Students selecting the Audit Option receive an “AU” as the final grade. This means only that the student registered for the course. Audit students are not required to submit papers or take exams, but all risk management and student conduct requirements still apply. Students registered under this option earn no quality points or credit hours. Students cannot meet prerequisite requirements through this grade option. Students registered under the course audit option may re-take the course for credit later.

Pass/Fail Option

If you select the Pass/Fail Option, you will receive a “P” for the class if you earn the equivalent of a “C-” or better for the course. Likewise, an “F” is assigned if you earn a “D+”, “D”, “D-”, or “F”.

Although all courses are available through this option, only 20 percent of all courses used to meet degree/certificate requirements can be earned through the Pass/Fail Option. Courses awarded by standardized national exams, i.e., CLEP, AP, DSST (DANTES), IB or Excelsior College Exam, are given a “P” grade and are not included in the 20 percent calculation. Courses of .5 credit hours or less must be graded with the Pass/Fail Option.

Short workshops (.5 credits or less) are only available through this grading option. You must register for these courses through the Pass/Fail or Audit Options.

Grade Appeals

Evaluating student academic performance and assigning grades is one of the main professional responsibilities of the faculty. The student may, however, appeal an assigned grade if he/she has evidence indicating that the grade was awarded in a capricious manner. Capricious grading is defined as one or both of the following:

  1. The faculty member used criteria other than performance in the course.
  2. The standards used to assign the final grade deviated substantially from the standards announced and/or were not uniformly applied to others in the class.

Please note, simple disagreement with the subjective judgment of the instructor does not support the charge of capriciousness.

Students wishing to appeal a grade must first discuss the grade assignment with the instructor. If the matter is not resolved, a written notice of appeal must be submitted to the Chief Executive Officer of the Colorado Mountain College campus that offered the class. This notice of appeal must be received within 30 days after the first day of classes for the following term.

Tuition and Other Costs

A college education is one of the most important investments you will make. Colorado Mountain College is committed to providing access to everyone who can benefit from a program of higher education.

The cost of attending Colorado Mountain College varies depending on residency status, program of study, housing status, and other services needed. The following section covers general tuition and fee costs you may expect by attending Colorado Mountain College during the 2011-2012 academic year.

Standard Tuition Rates

The chart below lists in-district, in-state, and out-of-state tuition rates for a single credit and 15-18 semester credits. You can take an additional three credits above the 15 for no extra cost. If you choose to take more than 18 credits, however, you will be charged per credit as listed below:

Classification Rate per credit Total for 15 credits per semester
In-district students $53 $795
In-state students $89 $1335
Out-of-state students $279 $4185

See the Residency Classification section earlier in this chapter for information about in-district and in-state classification.

Out-of-State Resident Tuition Rates

These students are allowed to register for up to three credits per semester at a rate equivalent to our industry rate ($101 per credit hour), or they may enroll in one 4 or 5 credit course at this rate. (Students cannot take a series of courses that add up to either 4 or 5 credits with this rate.)

If an out-of-state resident student takes more than the allowed number of credits within one semester, all credits (including the original credits) will be charged at the regular out-of-state rate.

Industrial Tuition Rate

The industrial tuition rate enables Colorado Mountain College to provide educational services for local tax-paying businesses without penalizing them for employees who do not meet state residency requirements. Under this classification, tax-paying employers will pay $101 per credit hour for employees who are out-of-state residents involved in job related training activities.

Senior Grant Tuition Rates

Colorado Mountain College provides grants for 50 percent of the tuition charge for district residents who are 62 years old or older. This policy applies to credit courses only.

Miscellaneous Charges and Fees

This section summarizes miscellaneous charges and fees that are levied in addition to standard tuition rates.

Fee Cost
Bad Check $25 per occurrence
Library fines (vary)
Graduation fee $20
Official Transcripts $2 to $10

Buying Textbooks

Textbooks are required for most courses and are available through each campus or book company. Textbook costs vary by course and program.

Textbooks for all distance learning courses and courses at some other campuses are purchased through the Follett Virtual Bookstore.

Information is available at: www.coloradomtn.edu, www.colorado.mtn@fvb.com, or by phone at 800-621-4088.

Program Fees

Because of special requirements for laboratories and specialized equipment and materials, several programs carry supplemental fees in addition to other instructional costs. These are called program fees. Some programs also require you to purchase professional equipment. Check with your campus advisor to determine if program fees apply to your course of study.

Cost Summary Table

This table offers a side-by-side comparison of most conceivable costs and fees associated with attending a community or residential campus.

Because many of our campuses are located in resort communities with high rent and food costs, the residence hall with food service, at $7928 for eight months is an affordable option for full-time students.

Product or Service Community Campus Residential Campus
Two 15-credit Semesters (in-District tuition) $1590 $1590
Food Service (19 meal/wk plan for two semesters) N/A $3768
Residence Hall (double occupancy, two semesters) N/A $4160
Student Activity Fees (two semesters) N/A $180
Books & Supplies (avg. for two semesters) $800 $800
Graduation Fee $20 $20
Grand Total $2410 $10518

Student Activity Fees

All residential campuses provide a variety of student activities planned and supervised by student government and the Student Activities Coordinator. Dive into a pool party, take a special ski trip, catch a comedy act or just enjoy life at Colorado Mountain College. Your student fees pay for these activities. If you attend these campuses, you must pay student activity fees. The amount varies by campus and by the number of hours for which you are enrolled each semester.

Credit Hours
Steamboat Springs Leadville
Glenwood Springs/ Spring Valley
6-8.5 $65 $65
9-11.5 $90 $55 $90
12+ $90 $90 $90

Note: all students living in the Glenwood Springs - Spring Valley residence halls are required to pay student activity fees.

Course Specific Fees

Course specific fees are assigned to certain courses and help cover the cost of additional materials. Course fees can be found in the semester class schedules.

Payment Plan

Paying for the rising costs of a college education is a concern for most everyone. Colorado Mountain College offers a number of different options for obtaining financial assistance with these costs. Among them are a payment plan, grants, scholarships, loans and work study options.

Colorado Mountain College has partnered with Nelnet Business Solutions to offer our students a plan in which payments can be spread throughout the semester. This is not a loan program, there are no interest or finance charges assessed and there is no credit check. The cost to budget your interest-free monthly payment plan is a $25 per semester non-refundable Nelnet enrollment fee. Payments are made either through pre-approved bank to bank transfers or through your credit card. More information about this program can be found at www.coloradomtn.edu, then select the “New Students” tab, then “Paying for College” then “Payment Plan”. Payment schedules vary by semester, please contact the location you plan to attend for specifics.

Living On Campus

Food Service Choices and Costs

A variety of food service options are available at all three residential campuses. When you live in college housing, you will automatically participate in the food service program. Others may purchase food services through a meal program or a la carte. All three campuses offer a flexible selection of meal plans to suit your schedule and appetite. Prices are subject to change annually.

2011-2012 Food Service Costs per semester:

Campus Meals Cost
Steamboat Springs 19 $1884
Glenwood Springs-Spring Valley 23 $1984
Glenwood Springs-Spring Valley 19 $1884
Glenwood Springs-Spring Valley 14 $1784
Leadville 19 $1884

Housing Choices and Costs

All of our residence halls are modern and comfortable, with high speed Internet access and private bathrooms. As long as you apply early, you will have an opportunity to choose or specify your ideal roommate and living situation, possibly even a single room. (Subject to availability.)

2011-2012 housing rates per semester for student housing at Steamboat Springs, Leadville, and Glenwood Springs at Spring Valley campuses are:

Occupancy Costs
Double $2080
Single $3080

Prices are subject to change annually.

Housing Applications and Deposits

To live in college-owned housing facilities, you must submit both the Housing and Food Service Agreement and the required deposit to the appropriate campus housing office to reserve space in the residence hall. Housing is limited and can fill quickly. If you plan to live on one of these campuses, it is in your best interest to apply for admission early to allow time to receive, complete, and return the housing reservation form and $300 deposit.

Housing and Food Service Agreements are available on the CMC website under Quicklinks, then Applications, then Forms. These forms are also mailed following all letters of acceptance to applicants for the Steamboat Springs, Leadville, and Glenwood Springs at Spring Valley residential campuses. Your housing reservation form must be accompanied by a $300 deposit.

Steamboat Springs, Glenwood Springs at Spring Valley, and Leadville campuses require all new students under age 21 to live on campus in the residence halls during the first year. This is designed to assist your transition to college and increase your chances for success. Some exemptions apply to local students, those who have completed military service and students who have successfully completed a full year of college. Contact your campus Student Services staff or Central Admissions for details.

Residence Hall Computer Hardware Requirements

Network Configuration:

The ResNet will support any operating system that complies with industry standard TCP/IP communication protocols. The ResNet uses DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) to assign IP numbers to the computers. The DHCP option should be enabled on your computer’s TCP/IP properties.

Windows Desktop or Laptop.

  • Operating System Windows XP/Vista or Windows 7
  • 10/100/1000 Base-T Ethernet Network Card minimum
  • CAT 5 (Category 5) Cable with RJ 45 ends (9 to 15 feet long)
  • Current up-to-date virus protection software

Macintosh Computer.

  • OS X 10.5 Leopard w/latest updates installed
  • 10/100 Base-T Ethernet Network Card minimum
  • CAT 5 (Category 5) Cable with RJ 45 ends (9 to 15 feet long)
  • Current up-to-date virus protection software


This section discusses tuition and special charge refund policies.

Standard Class Refunds

You will receive a refund of tuition and fees for standard classes (classes which span a period longer than five days) if you drop the class within the first 15 percent of the semester (on or before the refund date). The refund date is published for each class in the semester class schedule.

To be eligible for a refund, you must submit a completed Add/Drop Form to the registration office at your campus. Lack of attendance does not constitute dropping a class. If you are unable to complete an Add/Drop Form, you must submit a written request to the registration office at your campus. It is your responsibility to ensure that the request is received by the registration office. The date of receipt of the request will be used to determine eligibility for refunds and/or final approval of the drop request.

No refund is given if a class is dropped after the refund date. If you are enrolled in a class that is cancelled, you will receive a 100 percent refund of tuition and fees.

Short Class Refunds

To receive a refund for a short class (one to five days in duration), you must submit the Add/Drop Form two working days prior to the first day of class. Working days are defined as Monday through Friday for this purpose.

Special Charge Refunds

Some courses may have special charges that are required for the course. These special charges are usually charged to cover expenses external to the college, and may have early refund dates or be non-refundable. Please check the class schedule for this information